Thursday, October 16, 2008

Morons.

Life is full of them, right?

With my new job I seem to hear a lot of stupid things.. Things that would make you want to reach across the phone lines and smack the other person up-side their head.

Take, for example, the moron who called 911 a few nights ago and I happened to answer his plea for help.

It went something like this:
Me: 911 where is your emergency?
Moron: Ya down here a' XX n' YY ther' is some mob actin' goin' on
Me: What do you mean by 'Mob Action'
Moron: Uh well der' is abunch of people gangin' up ova' here
Me: How many is a bunch and what are they doing? [I can now hear my partner taking a large fight call next to me near the intersection Moron gave me]
Moron: Well a bunch and they fighting
Me: Sir my officers are en route, but I need to let my officers know how many, can you give me a number?
Moron: Uh like 20
Me: Now are any of them armed and who are they fighting?
Moron: I already told ya naw' get tha po-lice here quick!
[click]
Me: heeellloooo?

A little while later after the police got on scene and cleared it as 10-8 (available) just a group of juveniles walking down the street.. no problem.. the moron calls 911 to complain that he was asked too many questions.
After speaking with my partner and her having telling him twice that it's not an emergency to complain he will have to call 123-1234 to complain he was given to my supervisor who basically told him that he was going to be arrested for misuse of 911 (hoorah) if he doesn't hang up and call back in the morning.

I never did get pulled into the office, I guess I didn't ask enough questions..



Just to throw out there to anyone else looking into 911 dispatch as a job the training will probably vary from center to center.. We got a few weeks of in class training than was sent out with another dispatcher for a few weeks.. I do have to say that you will need to know how to use computers and not be nervous over the phones, that was a big downfall for some of the new people that started with and after me is they weren't familiar with computers and weren't comfortable with them. That and I have heard stories of some past dispatchers that would refuse to answer 911 lines (who were than let get due to that fact). But it's been great, I knew a lot about the police side of things due to my classes I was taking and the fact that I was able to do a couple of ride-alongs with my city and county police so I became more familiar with their basics (beats, 10 codes, call signs, etc)

2 comments:

Reggie said...

Thank you for the info. I am putting my app. into 4 places. The one just hired someone so I missed that one. Would've been nice too cuz that one was 10 minutes away from me. Bummer. Sometimes I debate over things a little too long. I just want to be sure this is what I want to do, and I'm 98% sure. I love challenges and the job I have now is very very boooorrring. It is all computer too and I've gotten very fast typing words and numbers. Maybe after I get it I'll start up a blog too.

Kennyo said...

Hello,
Do you think you have the best police related blog, or you know someone that does? Well here is your chance to have it voted on! I have put together a new blog, where I will compile a list of police related blogs, then I'll narrow the list down to the top 10, then have the readers vote on them...
This is a great way to get new readers to your blog and have a little fun!
Please visit the site and participate!

PLEASE ADD A POST TO YOUR SITE SO THE LIST WILL GROW


Visit the site here http://thebestpoliceblogs.blogspot.com/
thanks
Cst KO